ISOHEALTH Head Coach: BJJ, MMA, Self Defence & Strength & Conditioning
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ)
Matt Jones is Head Coach and Founder of ISOHEALTH (ISOBJJ), one of Australia’s leading Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) academies. Matt coaches all levels of BJJ students from novices through to international Gold medallists.
Under Matt’s tutelage his students have won:
- 5 x Grappling Industries Adelaide Adult Championship Team
- 3 x North American Grappling Association (NAGA) World Championship Titles
- 1 x Winner ADCC Trials Korea
- Numerous Adult gold medals in International BJJ Federation competition
- Numerous Australian BJJ championship titles
- In excess of 100 gold medals in state championship BJJ competition
- Mixed Martial Arts (MMA): Two ‘Fight of the Night’ winners & one ‘Submission of the Night’ winner
In his capacity as a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Coach and as a Strength & Conditioning Specialist Matt has been a regular contributor to the print magazine Blitz Martial Arts Magazine for over 10 years.
Strength & Conditioning (S&C)
Matt Jones is one of only a handful of Australians to hold the Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) credential with the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) of the USA. Over the last 20 years Matt has served as S&C coach to numerous elite athletes including Olympians, Professional Athletes, Elite Amateurs, Combat Athletes, Occupational Athletes (i.e. Law Enforcement, Military etc.) and 5 World Champions from 3 different sports.
Although he helps high performance athletes with to enhance their capabilities Matt’s main focus in Strength & Conditioning is spine care for rehabilitation and performance. This interest spawned from the recovery process he undertook after breaking his neck during a freak sporting accident.
With his expertise and track record in spinal rehabilitation, Matt served as the Strength & Conditioning Specialist at The International Spine Centre (ISC) for 3 years. ISC is an international Neurosurgery and Spinal Clinic based in Wakefield Hospital, Adelaide, and led by Spinal Surgeon and Neurosurgeon, Dr YH Yau.
After Matt’s decision to focus more on his own business, he now runs his spine rehab and strength & conditioning out of ISOHEALTH.
Matt has also served as S&C Coach for a number of elite sporting programs including two years as the S&C Coach for the South Australian College of Elite Golf (now the Australian College of Elite Golf).
Academic & Professional Qualifications
- Masters Degree, Sports Coaching
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS): National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) of the United States of America (USA). The CSCS is the world’s most highly regarded Strength & Conditioning qualification*
- Nationally accredited Strength & Conditioning Coach: Australian Strength & Conditioning Association (ASCA)
- Nationally accredited Weightlifting & Power Sports Coach: Australian Weightlifting Federation (AWF)
*NB: Eligibility for the CSCS exam requires a candidate to hold university qualifications of AQF Level 8 or higher (a bachelor degree is level 7). Candidates must then sit a rigorous 4 hour exam under university examination conditions and achieve a grade of 70% or higher in order to pass and attain the CSCS credential – the standard pass rate is 6 out of 10.
Personal Sporting Achievements
- Member of the Australian Archery Team
- Three times South Australian State Record Holder
- National Silver and Bronze Medallist
- Three times South Australian State Champion
- Member of the PSE World Team
- High Performance Scholarship Holder, South Australian Sports Institute (SASI)
- Played AA Pro Beach Volleyball Adult/Open, Volleyball SA
- 2nd Place, Under 21 State Triple Crown, Pairs Beach Volleyball, Volleyball SA
- Member of South Australian Indoor Volleyball Team U19, National Silver Medallist Team
- Competed at National level until breaking his neck in the Australian Championships
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) 1st Degree Black Belt, receiving his 1st Degree from Henry Akins & his Black Belt from Tiago “Tutuba” Ferreira of Gracie Shark Team
- Wing Chun Kung-fu Level 1 (Black Belt), Australian Wing Chun Federation (AWF)
- Australian Director & Level 2 Instructor of Jim Wagner Reality-Based Personal Protection (RBPP) 2006-2009
- Certified Instructor Floro Fighting Systems (edged weapons)
- 2016 Club Champion, Centrefire Unmodified, Adelaide Indoor Firearms Association (AIFA)
- 2017 Club Champion, Centrefire Unmodified, Adelaide Indoor Firearms Association (AIFA)
- 2019 Club Champion, Centrefire Unmodified, Adelaide Indoor Firearms Association (AIFA)
View Matt’s LinkedIn profile for more detailed professional information on Matt Jones.